If you are considering buying an air purifier either for yourself or as a gift for a special occasion then it is important that you pay attention to what others have experienced through purchase of the product you are considering. In this way, you can make a wise choice when it comes to the best purchase of the purifier. The quality and the durability of the item needs to be researched and also the type of customer service that the company offers, will be high on your list of priorities.
When considering the purchase of an air purifier you should know that few can be compared directly unless you want to buy a comprehensive product that will be the most versatile and that will filter a wide range of materials out of the air that we breathe. There are many on the market that are specific for a certain job but are not suitable for others. In the health conscious age in which we presently live you should know that to get the very best air purifier to filter and clean as much of the air we breathe as possible will require the purchase of a more expensive model which will have clearly superior features. If you are only interested in removing animal hair or the smell of smoke from the air you breathe then you can pick up very economical air purifiers for use but they will not purify the air as a comprehensive air purifier would.
In this day and age with pollution, metal absorption, molds, pathogens and allergies; it seems vital for our health to breathe clean air. If this is true then buying a great purifier as a wedding gift would be a great expression of love and would bring lasting results. In this regard, it might save someone from dying if they have protection from a pandemic virus. Some of these are expensive, but often make an ideal gift for a group of people so that the cost can be shared.
There are many types of air purifiers which I will talk about and provide the best gift buying selections for and then wrap up this article by giving my ultimate recommendation.
Best Room Air Purifiers
What is the best air purifier for home? If the purpose is to filter any pathogens out of the air as part of the air purification process along with all other contaminants, then Ultra violet light removes potentially harmful viruses, bacteria and pathogens from your home by passing the air through an ultraviolet light chamber which will kill 99.9% of mold spores and will also remove dust and other contaminants from the air. The best air purifiers will have ultraviolet light as this will kill viruses.
These units will also have an ionic generator. These act to charge free flowing particles in the air so that they will be attracted to a collector so that the charged particles are trapped and do not recirculate in the air that you breathe. Of course, the more foreign objects such as mold, pet hair, dust and other contaminants that are removed from the air that you breathe; the better you will be able to breathe and enjoy a healthy life style. Some units produce ozone because it too, can react with other free floating molecules which purifies the air by removing mold, viruses, bacteria, odors and air-borne particles from the air resulting in a clean smelling mountain air fresh room.
Some of these units come with Hepa filters. These filters are impressive in that they can remove many of the contaminants in the air simply by forcing the air through the filter. If you are to maintain the integrity of the unit and its ability to filter out the contaminants and pathogens from the air you breathe; it is important that you follow a regular maintenance schedule. These filters are only effective if changed regularly but you can use medical-grade Hepa filters for superior results.
I will now share the results of consumer reports on the better quality comprehensive units that can be purchased.
AZEUS True HEPA Air Purifier for Home, up to 1080 sq ft Large Room, UV light | Ionic Generator | Office or Commercial Space | Filter 99.97% Pollen, Smoke, Dust, Pet Dander | Auto Mode | Air Quality Sensor | Night Light
24/7 Live Chat Support: FREE upgrade to FULL Replacement GUARANTEE.
❤️Maximum Coverage: the centrifugal wheel design creates a stronger airflow that cleans room up to 1080sq.ft in just 45minutes. Combined with UV light and Ionic generator, you feel the fresh air in minutes. It helps remove odors left by pets by killing the odor-causing bacteria and germs.
Its 5-in-1 Filtration System filters 99.97% of dust, pollen, smoke, and pet dander. This air purifier filters particles as small as 0.3 microns and more which will help improve your overall health.
5 in 1 for complete health
- Activated Carbon & VOC Absorber
- UV-C Light Sterilizer
- Negative Ion Generator
- Formaldehyde adsorption particles
- Anti-bacterial Treatment
Smart Air Quality Sensor: In automatic mode, the fan speed automatically adjusts according to air quality.
❤️Ultra Quiet, Sleep Mode & Low Energy Consumption: 60 Watt only at High speed.
Remote control Sensor.
✔ Contemporary and smart Design:
Fits in any space from small to extra large bedrooms, living rooms, offices/home offices, nurseries, kitchens, and basements.
This model is rated very highly by consumers and has a large coverage area.
Customer ratings by feature
Timer function 4.8 Easy to use 4.8 Sleep mode 4.8 Remote Control 4.7 Customer service 5.0
Comments from customers:
Loved the fact that you don’t even know the product is in the room. We find the need to dust and clean the room is reduced. Customer service is good. They efficiently take care of any needs. Although we only have one, I’m considering buying one for our second floor.
Over a year after I purchased this air purifier I developed an issue. It turned out that the issue was of my own making, but despite the fact That I hadn’t purchased the protection their representative sent me a replacement unit at no charge making me an extremely satisfied and happy customer.
I bought this because the previous owner of my house was a heavy smoker. Work great. I have no way of measuring some of the claims, like the sanitizer function, but it does reduce the amount of dust and odors in the house.
This unit is a comprehensive unit that is easy to use and in sleep mode is very quiet. The only thing it lacks is an ozone generator, although some people are allergic to ozone. The customer service is rated as very superior and it comes with a fully replaceable promise if you are not satisfied. This in itself is of great value.
Germ Guardian AC5900WCA 21” 4-in-1 True HEPA Filter Air Purifier for Home, Large Rooms, UV-C Sanitizer, Filters Allergies, Smoke, Dust, Pet Dander, & Odors, 3-Yr Wty, GermGuardian, White
KILLS GERMS – UV-C light helps kill airborne viruses such as influenza, staph, rhinovirus, and works with Titanium Dioxide to reduce volatile organic compounds
- TRAPS ALLERGENS – Pre-filter traps dust, pet hair, and other large particles while extending the life of the HEPA filter
- REDUCES ODORS – Activated charcoal filter helps to reduce unwanted odors from pets, smoke, cooking fumes, and more
- QUIET OPERATION – The lowest setting can be used as gentle white noise at night for a quiet, restful sleep
- Traps Allergens: HEPA Filters captures 99.97% of dust and allergens as small as .3 microns such as household dust, pet dander, mold spores and plant pollens.
- Reduces Odors: Charcoal filter reduces common odors from pets, smoking and cooking.
- Energy Star Certified: 21 inch 3 speed Hi-performance consoles is best used for rooms up to 365 Sq. feet. Filters and circulates room air over 4x per hour. The higher the CADR the faster the unit filters the air. CADR Dust (239), Pollen (237) and Smoke (235).
- Filter Replacement Reminder: Filter needs to be replaced every 6-8 months depending on use,
Customer ratings by feature
Timer function 4.7 Easy to use 4.8 Sleep mode 4.8 Customer Service 4.6
- Captures Allergens: 360 Degree HEPA Filters captures 99.97% of dust and allergens as small as .3 microns such as household dust, pet dander, mold spores and plant pollens. Activated carbon filter reduces odors from pets, smoking, cooking along with many VOC’s emitted from a variety of household products and chemicals
- Fights Germs: Optional UV-C light technology works with Titanium Dioxide to reduce airborne bacteria, viruses, germs and mold spores
- Allergen Control: Optional ozone safe ionizer helps boost allergen control by attracting microscopic particles from the air to form larger particles that can be easily trapped by the HEPA filter
- Sleep Mode: Library quiet operation while the display lights turn off to help darken the room for sleeping
- Air Quality Monitor (AQM) with Indicator Display: Smart AQM detects particulate matter that is 2.5+ microns in size and can automatically adjust to optimize room air quality. The air quality monitor will change colors indicating the real time air quality level in the room from good, average, poor and very poor
- Auto Mode: Automatically adjusts between the 4 fan speeds depending on the air quality level in the room, providing you with peace of mind that your air purifier is filtering your air accordingly
- Exceeds Industry Standards: AHAM Verified, Energy Star Certified and Carb Compliant
Really like all the features. Sleep + Auto mode is very quiet compared to the other versions. Ionization + UV seems to be working and keeping the air quality in good shape. Easy to read air quality monitor is really nice to have and only spins up higher when it is needed instead of always being on a specific speed. My only complaint at the moment is that the O filter that is used is not available on Amazon yet.
Claims to UV irradiation are based in reality, as the unit has a consumer replaceable UV bulb in the base.
Clean Air Delivery Rate” for various particulate contaminates, are certified by something called the AHAM (Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers), an industry group with an office in Washington, D.C. which claims to have been around since 1967. It has been certified as supplying the rates specified.
“Carbon” pre-filters in replacement four packs are advertised in the instruction book, and they claim “activated carbon”; yet it appears to be a black plastic mesh, showing no evidence of entrapped carbon particles.
Customers rate this unit very highly and indicate they are satisfied.
Customer ratings by feature
Timer function 4.7 Easy to use 4.7 Sleep mode 4.7
Customer Service 4.5
- LARGE COVERAGE: The top-performing Levoit Core 400S Smart True HEPA Air Purifier can purify large rooms, such as bedrooms, living rooms, kitchens, and basements. Purify a 403 ft² room 5x per hour and a 990 ft² room 2x per hour
- 3-STAGE FILTRATION: Filtration includes a Pre-Filter, H13 True HEPA Filter, which traps viruses, bacteria, pollen, dust, and pet dander, and a Custom High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter that helps neutralize odors, cooking and wildfire smoke, and VOC’s
- WHISPER-LEVEL QUIET: Keep the Core 400S running throughout the night, as Sleep Mode uses the lowest fan speed (24dB) to create a sleep-friendly space that’s as quiet as falling leave
- COMBAT ALLERGIES AND ASTHMA: Powerful air purification during allergy and wildfire seasons helps capture allergens that cause sneezing, congestion, breathing difficulties, and other symptoms
- VIEW AIR QUALITY: The laser dust sensor scans the surrounding air for airborne particles, continuously updating the PM2.5 display and creating graphs in the VeSync app so you can see how your air quality has improved
- HANDS-FREE VOICE COMMAND: Hands-free control with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant allows you to control settings when your hands are full with cooking, caring for babies and children, or playing with pets
- SCHEDULE SETTINGS TO MATCH YOUR ROUTINE: Program the air purifier to use different modes and fan speeds at certain times, so you can have your week planned in advance. With scheduling, you never have to worry about forgetting to change your settings
- TRUSTWORTHY AND SAFE: The Core 400S is Energy Star and FCC certified, ETL listed, and a recipient of the German Design Award (2021) and if Design Award (2021). Only use Levoit replacement filters (search B08SQQK6K7) for best results and product performance.
Customer ratings by feature
Sleep mode 4.7 Easy to use 4.7 Remote Control 4.6 Smart Features 4.7
Noise level 4.6 Value for money 4.4
I purchased a Levoit Air Purifier model 300 earlier this year in hopes that it would help reduce the smell of our pets who like to stay in our large open basement. I honestly did not think it would work and had already decided if it didn’t, I would return it. Much to my surprise, not only did it work but it worked well and we ended up ordering a second one for the office.
Jumping forward to Amazon Prime Day 2, Levoit had their wonder air purifiers on sale and I decided to buy the large (and expensive) 600 model because it could cover up to 1500 SF. Let me tell you, even with the astronomical price I have not been disappointed. The big 600 is not a small unit at all but it does a great job of purifying our first floor open floor plan that is > 1500+. The auto fan setting is amazing and turns on and off based on the quality of the air and is color coded to let you know. I briefly mentioned that downloadable app. It’s very cool that you could control the 600 from my smartphone or from Alexa. But I keep it in auto mode and never have to open the app.
This is a highly rated unit that seems to give amazing results even when purifying the air in large rooms.
- REPLACEMENT AIR FILTER: For BreatheSmart Flex & 45i Air Purifiers ONLY. Find your model number on the top panel below the power button to ensure you get the right HEPA filter. It purifies 800sqft every 30 minutes and is helpful for 9-12 months.
- B4-PURE FILTER: Ideal for medium, large, and extra-large spaces, including living rooms, bedrooms, nurseries, laundry rooms, bathrooms, offices, kitchens, basements, and more! It traps allergens, pollen, fur, pet dander, mildew, and aerosolized viruses.
- MEDICAL-GRADE PROTECTION: 3-Stage H13 True HEPA filtration captures 99.99% of particles as small as 0.1 microns. HEPA air filtration is the third of five stages where the air filter traps viruses, bacteria, mold spores, and smoke with activated carbon.
- 5 AIR QUALITY COLORS: A Laser Smart Sensor detects airborne particles and auto-displays the current air quality. Blue = Excellent, Green = Good, Orange = Fair, Red = Poor, Purple = Bad air quality (high particle levels).
- PERFECT GIFT WITH A RANGE OF APPLICATIONS: Alen air purifiers aim to maintain our community’s health and wellness with cleaner pure air. From back-to-school preparations for classrooms, doctor’s offices, hotels, bars, lounges, restaurants, and most importantly your home, our air purifiers offer air filtration to everyone. A great gift for smokers and pet owners who need to improve their indoor air quality caring for their loved ones.
Customer ratings by feature
Easy to use 4.8 Maneuverability 4.6 Scent 4.6 Noise level 4.5
It was summer in Seattle and the blooming things were exploding with delight, unleashing a blanket of pollen on the city and providing job security for the makers of Sudafed. I’d grown weary of sneezing myself to sleep at night and of constantly vacuuming up dust. It was the summer I turned to air purification for my salvation.
I bought the Alen 45i on the recommendation of Consumer Reports. After a few initial hours on turbo, it settled into a quiet cycle on auto mode and I haven’t had to touch it since. Pretty quickly, my dust level was significantly diminished and I was sleeping better. I found that when I walked downstairs in the morning I would immediately start sneezing, so I ended up purchasing the larger 75i for my living room (probably overkill for my space; it’s a gigantic beast). Both units are extremely quiet unless they’re on turbo — but they call it turbo for a reason — and they’re super-easy to set up and use. They also look nice, and I like that you can turn off the display light on the 45i so it doesn’t cast unnecessary light in the bedroom at night.
So far so good on the filter, though I haven’t had it long enough to say whether it’s as long-lasting as claimed. Assuming it continues to perform I think it’s worth the investment for cleaner air and better sleep.
- PURIFY XL AREA UP TO 2,671 SQ FT – Unseen to the naked eye, you may unwittingly be inhaling billions of unseen pollutants and allergens into your lungs with every breath you take. OxyPure is proven to effectively purify 2,671 sq. ft. area in 1 hour.
- UNPARALLELED 5-LAYER PROTECTION – Stainless-steel pre-filter captures large particles & allergens. Ozone emission removal filter eliminates toxic Ozone. HEPA/Carbon & Bio-Guard filters remove minute airborne particle pollutants and odors from the home.
- WASHABLE & REUSABLE FILTER TECHNOLOGY – Never-rust stainless-steel pre-filter and Bio-Guard filter are washable and reusable up to 20 years. Ozone emission removal filter is reusable up to 20 years. They were designed to eliminate costly replacements.
- SMART DEVICE & WIFI CAPABLE – OxyPure is WIFI capable. You can connect remotely to monitor and control the air quality in your home anytime, anywhere from an app on your phone. The app is compatible with both Android and i-Phones.
- ALLERGY RELIEF & BETTER SLEEP – National Sleep Foundation found that sleep is dramatically impaired by allergy symptoms. OxyPure promotes better sleep by eliminating airborne allergens that can irritate the sinuses, nasal passages, and lungs.
- NIGHT-TIME SLEEP MODE – OxyPure is designed with Night-Time mode. All indicator lights turn off and fan operates at whisper-quiet level at 31.4 dB to help promote ideal sleeping conditions.
- ENERGY STAR CERTIFIED – Even when operating 24/7, the annual electricity cost is less than $10! Check with your local utility company to determine if a portion of the purchase qualifies for a rebate. It is also FCC and ETL certified.
- AUTO MODE & 6 FAN SPEEDS – Auto mode utilizes particle & odor sensors to continuously monitor air quality in the room and automatically adjusts fan speeds for optimal purification. You can also manually select 6 fan speeds from low to high at any time.
- TURBO MODE & TIMER – Turbo mode operates at max speed for rapid purification. You can choose between ½, 1, 2 hours of turbo run time. The 6 timers for normal mode are ½, 1, 2, 4, 8, 12 hours. OxyPure will automatically turn off when the timer runs out.
Customer ratings by feature
Sleep mode 4.9 Maneuverability 4.8 Noise level 4.4 Customer Service 4.8
I love everything about this unit. It was simple and easy to get it ready to use. It works great and could tell right away the difference in the air quality. I love the filter features and economical aspect of the unit. Very nice size, smooth look, quiet running and overall quality of this unit. I would highly recommend buying this for those who have allergies, illness and any respiratory issues. It really works just as described!! Definitely would purchase again!
This is our second purchase of the NUWAVE Oxypure filter. Yes, it’s expensive but the results are worth every penny. We live in a high pollen area and we were experiencing constant sinus headaches. After our first purchase of the unit, we noticed a gradual decline of the sinus headaches and allergic reactions in general. That sold us right there! Hence, here we go again with another unit in another part of the house. NUWAVE makes these very easy to maintain with a multiple filter system (2 that are washable). We discovered that this company is very proactive with customer service and they want to make certain that all equipment they sell functions properly. This is one of the few products that I can highly recommend.
This is a quality unit with great customer reviews.
In conclusion, the air purifiers all have impressive ratings and will make excellent choices. Consumer ratings of these products are impressive and one has the highest rating for customer service. The consumers report great experiences with use of these products and give then exceptional ratings. For healthy air and an extra special wedding or anniversary present; these are exceptional.
Note: If you follow any of the links from this page, I will receive a small commission. You will in no way pay anymore for the item than if you had gone there directly. Thanks for your support.